21 Sep How-to’s For a Healthy Spine and a Healthy Life
A Healthy Spine
You want to keep your family healthy above all. Did you know that for every member of the family, spine health is key to overall health? Since the spine is the foundation of our central nervous system, it’s central to the health of our entire bodies.
Unfortunately, many American families overlook this all-important element in a healthy lifestyle. Want some tips and tricks for your family’s spinal health? The American Chiropractic Association recommends the following to help maintain a healthy spine.
1. How to Stand
Yes, that’s right. Many of us compromise our spines just by the way we stand. Here are some tips on how to stand correctly.
- Keep one foot slightly in front of the other.
- Bend your knees slightly.
- Keep your head level.
- Keep your earlobes in line with your shoulders.
- Especially beware of allowing your head to pull forward or down.
- Shift your weight front to back gently if you have to stand for a long time.
2. How to Lift
I think we all realize lifting is an issue, but it never hurts to be reminded. In fact, it might hurt not to! Here’s what the ACA recommends.
- Don’t twist while lifting.
- Be aware of your limits and stay well below them.
- Pushing a heavy item is easier on your spine than pulling it.
- Use your legs, of course.
- Ask for help.
3. How to sit
Again, this seems way too simple. The reality is, however, that sometimes we sit for long periods of time, and our posture tends to suffer as we do. Follow these simple ideas:
- Knees below your hips
- Head up
- Back straight
- Avoid slouching (rolling the shoulders forward)
- Try to maintain your lower spine’s natural curve.
4. How to bend or reach
We all recognize that we need to be careful when lifting. However, even reaching up or bending down just to pick something up can be risky. Here’s what the ACA recommends for those times when we all must reach or bend.
- Don’t strain or stretch for something above your shoulders. Get a stool or ladder.
- Don’t bend at the waist.
- Get down on one knee.
- Bend at the knees.
5. How to Sleep
Taking control of your sleeping position is a great way to improve spine health. Try these helpful tips.
- Sleep on your side if possible. Sleeping on your back puts about 50 pounds of pressure on your spine.
- If you must sleep on your back, place a pillow under your knees.
- On your side, placing a pillow between your knees can reduce pressure on the spine.
- Listen to your body. If it hurts, don’t do it.
6. How to tech
Sitting at a computer or using your smartphone can be very spine-risky activities. Apply these recommendations from the ACA.
- Don’t look down into your lap to text.
- Don’t hold your phone between your ear and shoulder.
- On a computer, keep your neck straight and move your eyes instead of your head.
- Sit with your feet flat and knees below your hips.
Healthy spine, healthy life.
At Travis Chiropractic in South Tulsa, we are committed to keeping healthy families healthy. Regular chiropractic examinations are a great way to maintain health for every member of your family. If you have back pain, neck pain, or discomfort of any kind, call us today at 918-224-2225 for a free consultation. If you have no pain, great! Avoid potential trouble by scheduling regular examinations today for the whole family!